Friday, October 21, 2011

October 2011 Update

Sorry for the serious lack of posts. There are two reasons for this: (1) I have lost the bloggie and (2) I just haven't had a lot of free time after the kids go to bed to write. So here is the update.

Lets talk about Piper first.

Piper is really starting to vocalize. I am amazed at how much she is saying already and how much she understands. She is already starting to make animal sounds and say yes and no very clearly. She has had some issues with bowel movements lately (as in multiple each day). It was as bad as 10 times a day but now it is down to 3 to 5 times a day. This is crazy for me since when my children were first born I was super concerned about them only going once every few days.

Piper can climb up and down the stairs now. She does it totally differently than Pennington did. She slides down on her bottom instead of on her tummy like Pennington did. It is really nice to know that I don't have to hover over my children anymore when they are going up and down the stairs. We still put the gates up mainly so I can contain them instead of for safety purposes.

Piper is still not really sleeping. Honestly there are nights she gets up like 5 or 6 times. Last night was a good night. She only got up twice. I really think I need to stop breastfeeding in order to get her to sleep better. Right now I pretty much only feed her at night. Not sure I really recommend breastfeed as long as I have. The reason I say this is because now Piper asks for it by pulling on my shirt. The problem is I have no idea how to cut off the breastfeeding. I just keep hoping she will decided she is done so I don't have to make the decision. She like soy milk now and can drink it out of a bottle or sippy cup. My plan is to get rid of the bottles before January when she starts school.

Okay on to Pennington.

Since the beginning of September Pennington has been going to school three days as week. This has been really great for him on so many levels. He is really starting to enjoy school. He still gets a little sad when I drop him off in the morning but never wants to leave when I go to pick him up.

Pennington is totally potty trained at school and he is really starting to be interest in wanting to go on the potty at home. I realized a few days ago that Pennington doesn't like the potty we have at home. He would rather use the potties they have at school. Denise (Pennington's teacher) gave me an extra one and it has worked wonders. He goes at home now. In case you are wondering the Baby Bjorn potties are much better than the ones that look like little potties with lids (I think the brand is Safety First or something like that). The reason is because the Baby Bjorn ones are taller in the front so that when little boys sit on them the pee doesn't go out of the potty. It is so exciting to know that we are one step closer to being potty trained. Pennington is starting to refuse to wear diapers and only wants to wear pull ups or underwear.

I have finally decided to call the Infant Toddler Program about Pennington's speech delay. I should have an update within the next week or so once he has been assessed. While I am certain that he will talk someday he is definitely behind as most children his age would have around 70 words. Pennington maybe has 10 words. I have noticed an increase in the number of animal sounds he is making which is good.

Pennington can now ride a tricycle by pushing the pedals and has pretty much mastered the balance bike. By the way, I highly recommend the balance bike. Pennington loves it and it is easier for him to ride than a tricycle. Basically they are totally worth the money.

Johnny and I have tried our best to limit TV watching for both our children. However there are times where we have let them watch TV. One show that we let Pennington watch is called Kipper. Kipper is a British show about a dog and his adventures. I really like the show because it is very simple. It is usually Kipper and a few other objects that kids can identify with. Usually the background is all white. It is just very simple and I believe not over stimulating like other children's programs. Pennington loves watching Kipper. Piper isn't really into TV at all. Pennington on the other hand if the TV is on he will watch it (especially if it is soccer, football, basebase, ect). This is why we have to limit the amount of TV he watches.

1 comment:

  1. Maggie really likes Kipper too. I also appreciate it's simplicity. We are thinking about getting Maggie a balance bike to help her with coordination and balance---it's good to hear you really like them!

    ReplyDelete